Craig Peter Gell (b. 1982, Bournemouth) is an artist, composer and musician based in Folkestone, Kent, south-east England.
He creates site-specific sound installations, sound walks, radio art and experimental music.
His work has exhibited at Profound Sound, Folkestone Triennial and Ramsgate Festival of Sound, and broadcast on Radiophrenia, Resonance Extra and The Lake (DK). In 2020/21, he was a MagiC Carpets (Creative Europe) resident artist working alongside visiting artist Mary Conroy (IE).
Craig has also composed music for a number of short animated films, including Quarantine (2019), directed by long-time collaborator Astrid Goldsmith, which aired on BBC4 and won Best Animated Short Film at London Short Film Festival 2020. Music for the film Red Rover (2020) was composed while on residency at the Red House, Aldeburgh.
Craig has collaborated with other artists and practitioners including Anna Braithwaite and the Montrose Composers Club, eco-poet Chris Poundwhite, filmmaker Jemima Hughes, and the Folkestone Fringe.
Further examples of work can be heard on soundcloud.
For all enquiries, please email: info[at]craiggellmusic.com
Artwork / Exhibitions
– Wave Machine, Radio Art, Radiophrenia, Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, Scotland
– Wave Machine, festival CHAT 2020, Online Exhibition
– Pent Happenings (I), Exhibition, Workshop and Events, Festival Of Looking, Folkestone Fringe / MagiC Carpets, Folkestone, Kent
– Wave Machine, Installation, Silverland Studios, Ramsgate Festival of Sound, Kent
– Wave Machine, Installation, Profound Sound Festival, Folkestone, Kent
– Wind Chime, Radio Art, Works for Radio #4, The Lake Radio, Denmark
– Green Language, w/Chris Poundwhite. Installation, SALT Festival of the Sea and the Environment, Folkestone, Kent
– Starling Broadcast, Sound Installation, Profound Sound Festival, Folkestone, Kent
– Starling Broadcast, Radio Art, Radiophrenia, Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, Scotland
– Folkestone’s El Dorado: An auditory ramble through the Warren, Sound-walk, SALT Festival of the Sea and the Environment, Folkestone, Kent
– Red Rover, Composer. Mock Duck Studios / BFI. Animation Short Film. Directed by Astrid Goldsmith.
– Technology For Talking, Composer. BBC Ideas / Screen South. Animation Short Film. Directed by Jemima Hughes.
– Quarantine, Composer. BFI / BBC4 / Wingspan. Animation Short Film. Directed by Astrid Goldsmith (Mock Duck Studios).
Awards / Residencies
– MagiC Carpets (Year 4), Folkestone, Kent
– MagiC Carpets (Year 3), Folkestone, Kent