Craig Peter Gell (b. 1982, Bournemouth) is an artist, composer and musician based in Folkestone, Kent, south-east England (UK).
His recent work explores our relationship to the natural environment, using field recordings and creative coding to produce sound-walks and sound maps, multimedia installations and electroacoustic compositions. He has also led public workshops relating to areas of his practice, in field recording and field studies.
Craig’s work has featured at Profound Sound, SALT Festival of the Sea and the Environment, Folkestone Triennial and Ramsgate Festival of Sound, and has been broadcast on Radiophrenia (Scotland), Resonance Extra and The Lake (DK). He has also contributed to online exhibitions and live streaming events. In 2020/21, he was a MagiC Carpets (Creative Europe) resident artist working alongside visiting artist Mary Conroy (IE).
Craig has composed music for short animated films, including Quarantine (2018, BBC4/BFI), directed by long-time collaborator Astrid Goldsmith. Music for the film Red Rover (2020) was composed while on residency at the Red House, Aldeburgh.
Craig has worked with other artists and practitioners including composer Anna Braithwaite, eco-poet Chris Poundwhite, filmmaker Jemima Hughes, and the Folkestone Fringe.
Craig is an experienced musician and currently plays electric guitar with the Free Range Orchestra.
For all enquiries, please email info[at]craiggellmusic.com
Exhibited Work / Projects
– Lithoscapes, SALT + EARTH Festival, Creative Folkestone / Kent Downs AONB
– Tune In Folkestone, Field Recording workshop, Creative Folkestone, Kent
– Incantations, Profound Sound, Folkestone, Kent
– Imogen Holst’s Kitchen / Imogen Holst’s Kitchen in Retrograde, Radiophrenia, Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, Scotland
– White Cart Stream, Live sonification for COP26, As if radio (AIR) / Soundcamp, Glasgow
– Pent Happenings (II), Exhibition, Workshop and Events, Folkestone Fringe / MagiC Carpets, Folkestone, Kent
– Locus Sonus live stream for Dawn Chorus Day, ‘Reveil 8‘, Soundcamp
– Wave Machine, Radio Art, Radiophrenia, Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, Scotland
– Wave Machine, festival CHAT 2020, Online Exhibition
– Pent Happenings (I), Exhibition, Workshops and Events, Festival Of Looking, Folkestone Fringe / MagiC Carpets, Folkestone, Kent
– Wave Machine, Multimedia Installation, Silverland Studios, Ramsgate Festival of Sound, Kent
– Wave Machine, Multimedia Installation, Profound Sound, Folkestone, Kent
– Wind Chime, Radio Art, ‘Works for Radio #4’, The Lake Radio, Denmark
– Green Language, w/Chris Poundwhite. Multimedia Installation, SALT Festival of the Sea and the Environment, Folkestone, Kent
– Starling Broadcast, Sound Installation, Profound Sound, Folkestone, Kent
– Starling Broadcast, Radio Art, Radiophrenia, Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, Scotland
– Folkestone’s El Dorado: An auditory ramble through the Warren, Sound-walk, SALT Festival of the Sea and the Environment, Folkestone, Kent
– Red Rover, Composer. Mock Duck Studios / BFI. Animation Short Film. Directed by Astrid Goldsmith.
– Technology For Talking, Composer. BBC Ideas / Screen South. Animation Short Film. Directed by Jemima Hughes.
– Quarantine, Composer. BFI / BBC4 / Wingspan. Animation Short Film. Directed by Astrid Goldsmith (Mock Duck Studios).
Awards / Residencies
– MagiC Carpets (Year 3), Folkestone, Kent